Lesson Objective: To recognize the many distractions that are offered up by the world that will keep us from reaching our desired goals
Scripture: 1 Corinthians 9: 24
“Know ye not that they who run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.”
- Distraction definition- a thing that prevents someone from concentrating on something else
- Examples of problems caused by Distractions
- Takes our mind off of God Matthew 6:33
- But seek ye first the kingdom of God,
and his righteousness; and all these
things shall be added unto you.
- Aids in developing doubt- Matthew 14: 29-30
And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me
- Puts focus on self- Pride Ecclesiastes 10:13
- For pride is the beginning of sin, and he that hath it shall pour out abomination: and therefore the Lord brought upon them strange calamities, and overthrew them utterly.”
- Forget purpose Colossians 3: 2
- Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.
- Thoughts 2 Corinthians 10: 5 and Proverbs 23: 7
- We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ
- for as he thinketh in his heart, so is he. “Eat and drink,” saith he to thee, but his heart is not with thee.
- Causes of distraction
- 1 Corinthians 9:24
- Competing with others
- Do you play sports to win or to enjoy?
- Doubting if God answers prayers
- James 4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
- Philippians 4: 6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God
- Not seeing things clearly
- Philippians 4: 4 Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!
- Not using what we have and seeking more
- Matthew 14: 13-21
- Secret to ward off distractions Pray without ceasing