Small Group Study Guide for “Trusting Jesus in the Storm”
Scripture Passage: Matthew 14:22-33
Directions: Read Matthew 14:22-33 to familiarize yourself with the story of Jesus walking on water and Peter’s response.
1. What were the disciples doing while Jesus was praying on the mountain? (Matthew 14:24)
– Leader Note: This question helps the group understand the context of the story and the disciples’ situation.
2. How did Peter initially respond when he saw Jesus walking on water? (Matthew 14:28)
– Leader Note: This question highlights Peter’s initial faith and willingness to step out of the boat.
3. What happened when Peter took his eyes off Jesus and focused on the storm? (Matthew 14:30)
– Leader Note: This question emphasizes the impact of losing focus on Jesus and the resulting fear and doubt.
1. What do you think the storm represents in this story? How does it relate to the challenges we face in life?
– Leader Note: This question encourages the group to think about the symbolic meaning of the storm and how it applies to their own lives.
2. Why do you think Peter started sinking when he took his eyes off Jesus? What does this teach us about the importance of keeping our focus on Jesus?
– Leader Note: This question explores the significance of maintaining our trust and focus on Jesus, even in the midst of difficult circumstances.
3. What can we learn from Jesus’ response to Peter’s cry for help? How does this demonstrate His faithfulness and willingness to save us?
– Leader Note: This question highlights Jesus’ immediate response to Peter’s plea for help and encourages the group to reflect on His faithfulness in their own lives.
1. How can we keep our trust in Jesus strong when we face storms and challenges in life?
– Leader Note: This question prompts the group to discuss practical ways to strengthen their trust in Jesus during difficult times.
2. What are some common distractions or “storms” that can cause us to lose focus on Jesus? How can we guard against them?
– Leader Note: This question encourages the group to identify potential distractions and develop strategies to maintain their focus on Jesus.
3. Share a personal experience when you felt your trust in Jesus was shaken. How did you overcome it, or what can you learn from this story to help you in similar situations?
– Leader Note: This question allows for personal reflection and sharing, fostering a deeper understanding of the sermon message.
Dear Heavenly Father, thank you for the reminder that we can trust in Jesus, even in the midst of storms and challenges. Help us to keep our focus on Him and not be swayed by the circumstances around us. Strengthen our faith and trust in You, knowing that You are always with us and ready to save. In Jesus’ name, Amen.